It’s day 3 of 2014 and I sit here a bit frustrated. I have a sore throat and a flu of some nature, and that means spending four hours on my bike and breathing heavily is not really a good option, and its especially annoying that I’d planned a ride with an old mate today.
So I look at my gear that sits there waiting, I read some tweets about the cycling universe and as I stare out the window thinking that a cool summers day is a great day to ride, I reflect on what has been an interesting 12 months.
Seriously, I can’t believe the change that has come about through cycling since February 2013 and that after reviewing the stats (it’s my IT influence) I still get surprised. Since February 2013….
- I rode 161 times, averaging 38kms (23mls) per ride of 103 minutes
- Have ridden 5967 kms (3707 miles) in total
That’s Sydney to Perth and 1/2 way back or New York to LA and 1/3 way back
- My longest ride was 116kms (71 miles)
- I reached 100km the first time after 5 months
- My average calorie burn was 1098 cals per ride
- and I have lost 11kg (24 lbs) in 9 months (yet I still eat some junk food)
It just astounds me that I can do this at 48 (which means basically anyone can) and comparing this year to last year, where I did nothing, sat on my ass and smoked heavily, it is a change that’s good – real good! Continue reading